Collaborative research grant with compatriots as an instrument for scientists funding, is an opportunity for the collaboration between scientists from Georgia and compatriots. The overall objective of the Collaborative Research Projects call (compatriots call) is to intensify the process of involvement of successful Georgian scientists working abroad into joint activities in order to improve standards of research in Georgia. Close cooperation with successful Georgian scientists working abroad will give an opportunity to local researchers to raise their awareness on state of art in developed countries and to adopt modern research methods. The implementation of the joint projects will enable scientific Diasporas’ representatives to have permanent business contacts with home country and to make use of their knowledge and experience to raise the level of science in Georgia. An important component of the Program is involvement of young scientists in research projects, designed to support development of their scientific potential and integration in international scientific network.
Collaborative Research Project Call (compatriots call) is open to various fields of science:
- Natural Sciences;
- Engineering and Technology;
- Medical and health Sciences;
- Agricultural Sciences;
- Social Sciences;
- Georgian Studies
The foundation will fund institutional grant proposals only.
- Host and/or co-participant Institution – Legal Entities of Public Law, established in accordance to the Georgian legislation, non-entrepreneurial (non-commercial) legal entities registered in Georgia, aiming at developing scientific research; higher educational institutions;
- Key personnel – Master’s students, PhD students, applicants having Master’s degree or PhD or an equivalent degree;
Outsourcing proposed projects’ evaluation to the international independent experts. Therefore, project proposals and relevant documentation must be submitted in two languages – English and Georgian. English version of the proposals are sent to the international experts for evaluation. Applicants (PI and the host institution) are responsible for the quality of English translation.
Project final evaluation score is calculated based on the evaluation scores, received from the independent experts.
If the project is scored up to 18 or less points, the project Principal Investigator and Compatriot residing abroad will not have the right to participate in the Collaborative Research project call announced by Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation in 2017 as the project Principal Investigator or compatriot.
The Call Administration timeframe:
- Call opening: April 25, 2016
- April 26, 16:00 - Ilia State University;
- May 5, 16:00 - Conference Hall, Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation;
- May 10, 16:00 - Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University;
- May 11, 14:00 - Akaki Tsereteli State University;
- May 16, 16:00 - Georgian Technical University.
- May 19, 16:00 - Conference Hall, Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation;
There will be no individual consultations.
- The deadline for submitting questions online: May 20.
- Date of opening electronic registration: May (the date will be specified later and detailed guidelines will be published on the website).
- Deadline of submitting electronic proposals: June 7, 00:00
- The deadline for submitting proposals (hard copy) at the foundation office: June 9, 16:00
- Technical expertise: June
- evaluation – evaluation by independent international experts: June, July, August, September
- Announcement of the call results: September-October
Documentation submitted after the deadline shall not be considered.
You can find detailed information on Call terms and conditions in the following documents:
- Detailed guidelines on project preparation and registration (electronic database will open in May, 2016 and detailed instruction on how to register in database will also be published).
- Frequently Asked Questions.
For budget preparation, please see the links:
- SRNSF Budget expenditure classification (Annex 12)
- Decree of Minister of Finance of Georgia N220 dated 5 April 2005 on ‘Determining norms for business trip expenditures to be paid to the hired’ https://matsne.gov.ge/ka/document/view/60034
The documentation to be submitted to the foundation consists of two parts:
- Project, that is filled online, in electronic database in English language and comprises of the following parts: announcement and a project cover page, project proposal, budget and budget justification, project implementation timeframe, CVs of Principal Investigator and main personnel, information form about leading and co-participating institutions, project resume and the resume of PI’s previous, completed project. The same documents in Georgian language are uploaded in the database in PdF format.
- Additional document to the project are gathered and uploaded in the database in a single PDF format. These additional documents include: statute and the document defining the status of the host and co-participant institution (in case co-participant institution exists). Banking account number of the institutions receiving the grant, copies of identification documents (ID card or passport), documents certifying academic degree (diploma or in case of a PhD student / MA student, a reference form the relevant institution), a letter of consent from the projects foreign consultant (if applicable), letter of agreement on co-funding, indicating the amount of co-funding and other legal documents in case such exist.
List of documents to be provided in English:
- Project cover page – Annex 2;
- Project proposal – Annex 3;
- CVs of Principal Investigator, key personnel of the project – Annex 4;
- Project budget and budget justification – Annex 5;
- Project implementation timeframe – Annex 6 ;
- Project summary/ abstract – Annex 7;
- Summary of the previously funded, completed scientific project implemented by PI (during last 3 years) – Annex 8;
- Resume on Host and Co-participant Institutions – Annex 9;
- Consent Letter of the Project Consultant (if applicable) – Annex 10;
The abovementioned documents in English will be evaluated by independent experts – Annexes 2-9.
It is important that annex 3 number of pages should not exceed 7 pages, project part ‘A’ English version page numbers should not exceed 17 pages.
Otherwise, the project will not be considered.
List of documents to be provided in Georgian:
- Project cover page – Annex 2;
- Project proposal – Annex 3
- CVs of Principal Investigator and key personnel of the project – Annex 4;
- Project budget and budget justification – Annex 5;
- Project implementation timeframe – Annex 6;
- Project summary/ abstract – Annex 7
- Summary of the previously funded, completed scientific project implemented by PI (during last 3 years) – Annex 8
- Resume on Host and Co-participating Institutions – Annex 9;
- A joint announcement of applicant individuals and legal entities regarding participation in the call – Annex 10
Additional legal documentation to be presented in Georgian in one file, PDF format:
- Copies of Identification Cards or passports of the principal investigator and the key personnel involved in the project;
- Documents on academic degree of the principal investigator and the key personnel involved in the project (copies of Diplomas);
- Legal documents of the host and co-participating institutions: statute, registration document if they are not LEPL.
- Letter of approval of co-funding by individual or legal entity, signed and sealed. If the co-funder is a foreigner (foreign institution) the above mentioned legal documents should be translated and certified by the translator’s office.
- Legal documents of co-funding by individual or legal entity: registration document, bank account number. If the co-funder is a foreigner (foreign institution) the above mentioned legal documents should be translated and certified by the translator’s office.
Project submitted to the foundation should be prepared in accordance to the forms indicated while the call announcement.
The following should be submitted at the foundation office: A joint announcement of applicant individuals and legal entities regarding participation in the call – Annex 10 (signed and sealed); Project cover page – Annex 2 – after registering the project online and receiving project code;
Project proposal should be submitted at the foundation office not later than 9 June 2016, 16:00. Documents submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Collaborative Research project call 2016 coordinators:
Phone number: + (995 32) 2 200 220 (extension 44 07)
Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation wishes you the best of luck!