High level committee set up to look for ERC new president
SRNSFG disseminates information about appointment of seven experts in the committee to conduct the search for the next president of the European Research Council (ERC). According to the European Research, Science and Innovation Commissioner Carlos Moedas, the committee will be chaired by former European Commissioner Mario Monti, President of Bocconi University, also former Prime Minister of Italy.
The committee will make recommendations to the European Commission in time for the next ERC president to take up duties on 1 January 2020, as successor to the current president, Professor Jean-Pierre Bourguignon. Moedas also noted that ERC has become a powerhouse of science and will be a key pillar in an even more ambitious research and innovation framework programme that will follow Horizon 2020.
The search committee members are:
Chair Mario MONTI
- Helga NOWOTNY, Professor emeritus of Social Studies of Science, ETH Zurich, Former President of the ERC Scientific Council
- Fabiola GIANOTTI, Director-General of CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research
- Carl-Henrik HELDIN, Director of the Ludwig Institute at Uppsala University, Chairman of the board of the Nobel Foundation
- Jules A. HOFFMANN, Chair of Integrative Biology, University of Strasbourg, 2011 Nobel Prize in Medicine
- Alice GAST, President of Imperial College London
- Maciej ZYLICZ, President and Executive Director of the Foundation for Polish Science
Further information can be accessed on the website.